Broadway Bears XII raised $152,116 for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
Broadway lovers and teddy bear collectors came together on 15 Feb 2009, at the Broadway Bears XII auction, which raised a grand total of $152,116!
The event was hosted by Bryan Batt with Lorna Kelly reprising her role as auctioneer. Forty specially made Broadway Bears ï¿½ each dressed in original, handmade costumes representing the theaterï¿½s most legendary characters - were auctioned to the highest bidder in support of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.
Last yearï¿½s Broadway Bears raised $130,878 and the grand total for all 12 Broadway Bears auctions is $1,644,077.18 with over 500 bears auctioned.
40 one-of-a-kind Broadway Bears ï¿½ each dressed in original, handmade costumes representing some of the theaterï¿½s most legendary performers and/or performances ï¿½ will be put up for auction.
Top ten winning bids for bears were:
- $16,000 ï¿½ Sir Robin from Spamalot, designed by JoAnna Cayot and signed by Clay Aiken.
- $10,000 ï¿½ Alan Strang with Nugget from Equus, designed by Nicolas Putvinski and signed by Daniel Radcliffe, RIchard Griffiths and Lorenzo Pisoni.
- $7,000 ï¿½ Glinda from Wicked, designed by John Henson and signed by Kristin Chenoweth and Kendra Kassebaum.
- $5,500 ï¿½ Growltiger from Cats, designed by Therese Stadelmeier-Tresco and signed by Betty Buckley and Stephen Hanan
- $4,000 ï¿½ Billy Elliot(s) from Billy Elliot,designed by Jessica Scoblick and signed by David Alvarez, Kiril Kulish and Trent Kowalik.
- $4,000 ï¿½ Tommy Walker from The Who's Tommy, designed by Andy Wallach and signed by Michael Cerveris.
- $3,800 ï¿½ Ashley from Starlight Express, designed by Andy Wallach and signed by Andrea McArdle.
- $3,700 ï¿½ Betty Haynes from Irving Berlin's White Christmas, designed by the show's original designer Carrie Robbins and signed by Kerry O'Malley, Stephen Bogardus, Jeffry Denman and Meredith Patterson.
- $3,600 ï¿½ Shrek from Shrek The Musical, designed by Tricorn Inc. & Lynne Mackey Studios and signed by Brian dï¿½Arcy James.
- $3,400 ï¿½ Local 1/I.A.T.S.E. Brother Bear designed by Carol A. Ingram.
Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is the nationï¿½s leading industry-based, nonprofit AIDS fundraising and grants making organization. By drawing upon the talents, resources and generosity of the American theatre community, BC/EFA raises funds for AIDS-related causes and other critical illnesses across the United States.
Since its founding in 1988, BC/EFA has raised over $150 million dollars for critically needed services for people with AIDS and other serious illnesses.
BC/EFA is the major supporter of seven programs at The Actorsï¿½ Fund ï¿½ including The AIDS Initiative, The Phyllis Newman Womenï¿½s Health Initiative, The Al Hirschfeld Free Health Clinic at The Aurora in NYC, The Dancersï¿½ Resource and two supportive housing residences. BC/EFA also awards grants to over 400 AIDS and family service organizations yearly.
For more information, please visit the BC/EFA website at www.BroadwayCares.org
Originally published on