It has been reported that The Nanny is being adapted into a Broadway musical. The production is based on the 1990s American sitcom of the same name, which followed a fashionable Jewish wom...
Shrek: casting notice posted for staged reading scheduled for 23 Jul - 3 Aug.
Shrek: The Musical, which is to open on Broadway in 2008, as posted a casting notice for a staged reading to take place in New York from 23 Jul - 3 Aug 2007.
As previously announced the musical will feature music by Jeanine Tesori, with book and lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire.
Shrek: The Musical will be directed by Jason Moore, and feature set and costume design by Tim Hatley and lighting by Hugh Vanstone. The musical will be produced by DreamWorks Animation and Sam Mandes' Neal Street Productions, Ltd.
Dreamwork Animations have released two box-office hit animation movies based on William Steig children's book written in 1990, about a young ogre who finds the ogre of his dreams when he leaves home to see the world. The name 'Shrek' is taken from the German and Yiddish word "Schreck"/"Shreck", meaning "fear, terror". The third movie, appropaitely named "Shrek the Third" is to be released by Dreamwork Animations on 18 May 2007.
Shrek: The Musical will be Dreamwork Animations's first theatrical production.
The casting call is for one woman, three men and one youth to play a 7-13 year old boy for the following roles:
- Shrek: 20s ï¿½ 30s. An ogre. His brutish physical appearance disguises a warm heart. Values his peaceful solitary life in the swamp. A lonely outsider with soul and strength, and wit. Seeking actors with a powerful presence and strength with true Rock or R&B voices.
- Donkey: 20s ï¿½ 30s. A performer with a contemporary, urban edge and great humor. Joins Shrek on his journey to capture Princess Fiona. Seeking unique performers. Especially from slam poetry or Hip Hop worlds or clever actors with great comic skill.
- Lord Farquaad: 30s-40s. A pompous and power-hungry little villain with a raging Napoleon complex and an intense dislike of all fairytale creatures. Always the perfectionist, he sets out to claim a beautiful princess as his bride, in order to insure himself a royal title and a kingly throne.
- Princess Fiona: 20s-30s. Has spent most of her life locked in a dragon-guarded castle, reading fairytales about damsels being rescued by handsome and charming princes. When sheï¿½s finally set free, Fiona tries desperately to play the part sheï¿½s spent her life preparing for ï¿½ the spoiled, swooning, romantic princess destined to live happily ever after. But Fiona has a secret, and underneath the pretty dress lurks a smart, outspoken, tough-as-nails girl who canï¿½t help burping or launching into hand-to-hand combat when the situation calls for it.
- Young Shrek: 7-13 year old boy. Chubby, stocky, and has a great sense of humor.