100 Hundred Saints You Should know: full cast announced
Playwright Horzons have announced the full cast for the first production of their 2007/08 season, 100 Saints You Should Know, a new play by Kate Fodor, directed by Ethan McSweeny.
Joining the previously announced 2-time Tony Award nominee Lois Smith, are Janel Moloney ('The West Wing'), Obie Award winner Jeremy Shamos, Zoe Kazan and Will Rogers.
In 100 Saints You Should Know Theresa (Janel Moloney) cleans the rectory of the local parish to support her unruly teenage daughter (Zoe Kazan). When its priest (Jeremy Shamos) is forced to leave the church under uncertain circumstances and return home to his protective mother (Lois Smith), Theresa finds herself compelled to pursue him. One eventful night joins them all, forcing a reckoning with the broken memories and shaken faith that divides them ï¿½ and the discovery of a shared, tenuous common ground.
100 Saints You Should Know opens at Playwright Horzons' Main Stage on 18 Sep 2007, following previews from 24 Aug and running through to 30 Sep 2007.
Lois Smithï¿½s last stage appearance was in Horton Footeï¿½s 'The Trip to Bountiful' at Signature Theatre (2005), for which she received five awards: an Obie Award, a Lucille Lortel Award, a Drama Desk Award, an Outer Critics Circle Award and the Kingsley-Evans Award.
Smith made her Broadway debut in 1952 in 'Time Out for Ginger' (1952), her additional Broadway credits include, 'Buried Child' (1996 - Tony nomination), 'The Grapes of Wrath' (1990 - Tony nomination), 'The Iceman Cometh' (1973 revival), 'Edwin Booth' (1958), 'Orpheus Descending' (1957) and 'The Young and Beautiful' (1955).
Janel Maloney (making her New York stage debut) has been nominated twice for an Emmy Award fo her recurring guest appearances as 'Donna Moss' in the TV programme 'The West Wing'. Her films include: 'Bang, Bang, You're Dead' (2005) and 'Just Pray' (2005).
Jeremy Shamos has appeared on Broadway in 'The Rivals' (2004 revival) and 'Reckless' (2004). Shamos won an Obie Award for his portrayal of Cheviot Hill in Theatre for a New Audience's off-Broadway production of 'Engaged' (2004 revival). He has appeared in Playwright's Horizons' 'Miss Witherspoon' (2005), and was recently seen off-Broadway in 'Gutenberg! The Musical!' (2007).
Zoe Kazan was in The New Group's production of 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie'; Will Rogers appeared in New York Theatre Workshop's 'Columbinus'.
In addition to 100 Saints You Should Know, Playwrights Horizonsï¿½ 2007 - 08 season will also include the following five previously-announced productions:
- The World Premiere of A Feminine Ending, a new play by Sarah Treem, directed by Blair Brown, featuring Marsha Mason.
- The World Premiere of Doris To Darlene, A Cautionary Valentine, a new play by Jordan Harrison , directed by Les Waters.
- The New York premiere of Dead Man's Cell Phone, a new play by Sarah Ruhl, directed by Anne Bogart.
- The New York City Premiere of The Drunken City, a new play by Adam Bock, directed by Trip Cullman.
- The World Premiere of Saved, a new musical with score & lyrics by Michael Friedman and book & lyrics by John Dempsey and Rinne Groff, based on the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer motion picture written by Brian Dannelly & Michael Urban, directed by Gary Griffin, featuring Celia Keenan-Bolger.
Originally published on