It has been reported that The Nanny is being adapted into a Broadway musical. The production is based on the 1990s American sitcom of the same name, which followed a fashionable Jewish wom...
The 25th Annual Lucille Lortel Awards
The winners of the 26th Annual Lucille Lortel Awards were announced on 1 May 2011 at a ceremony co-hosted by Samantha Bee and Zach Braff.
The musical Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, featuring music and lyrics by Michael Friedman, with book and direction by Alex Timbers, and produced by The Public Theater and Center Theatre Group was named Outstanding musical. Kristoffer Diaz's The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity, directed by Edward Torres and produced by the Second Stage Theatre was named Outstanding play.
No production recieved mulitple awards, with Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, Peter and the Starcatcher, The Coward and The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity leading the way with just two awards each.
Naked Angels's production of Chloe Moss's This Wide Night, which was directed by Anne Kauffman and starred Edie Falco and Alison Pill, was the evenings biggest disappointment having been nominated in five categories but walking away empty handed. The Lincoln Center Theater's production of Jon Robin Baitz's Other Desert Cities, directed by Joe Mantello, - rumored for Broadway - which received fve nominations, ended up won just one: Outstanding Featured Actor (Thomas Sadoski).
Two special awards will also be presented at the ceremony:
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Lynne Meadow
- Service to Off-Broadway: Gary Glaser
2011 nominations by category are
- In the Wake
written by Lisa Kron.
Produced by The Public Theater.
- Other Desert Cities
Written by Jon Robin Baitz.
Produced by Lincoln Center Theater.
- Peter and the Starcatcher
Written by Rick Elice.
Produced by New York Theatre Workshop.
- The Coward
Written by Nick Jones.
Produced by Lincoln Center Theater.
- The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity
Written by Kristoffer Diaz.
Produced by Second Stage Theatre.
- Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
Music and Lyrics by Michael Friedman, Book by Alex Timbers.
Produced by The Public Theater and Center Theatre Group in association with Les Freres Corbusier.
- In Transit
Music, Lyrics and Book by Kristen Anderson-Lopez, James-Allen Ford, Russ Kaplan, Sara Wordsworth.
Produced by Primary Stages, the Baruch/Viertel/Routh/Frankel Group, Jane Bergere, Jodi Glucksman, Ken Greiner, Chip Meyrelles, Christina Papagjika, and Janet Rosen.
- The Burnt Part Boys
Music by Chris Miller, Lyrics by Nathan Tysen, Book by Mariana Elder.
Produced by Playwrights Horizons and Vineyard Theatre.
- The Kid
Music by Andy Monroe, Lyrics by Jack Lechner and Book by Michael Zam.
Produced by The New Group.
- We the People: America Rocks!
Music by Songs by Brad Alexander (Music) and Kevin Del Aguila (Lyrics), Eli Bolin (Music) and Sam Forman (Lyrics), Joe Iconis (Music and Lyrics), Tommy Newman (Music and Lyrics), Ryan Scott Oliver (Music and Lyrics), Adam Overett (Music and Lyrics), Mark Weiner (Music) and Erik Weiner and Jordan Allen-Dutton (Lyrics).
Produced by Theatreworks USA.
Outstanding Solo Show:
- Mike Birbiglia's My Girlfriend's Boyfriend
Written and Performed by Mike Birbiglia.
Produced by Ron Delsener and Mike Lavoie.
- Through the Night
Written and performed by Daniel Beaty.
Produced by Daryl Roth in association with Jana Robbins.
- Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes/Part 1: Millennium Approaches, Part 2
Written by Tony Kushner.
Produced by Signature Theatre Company.
- The Collection & A Kind of Alaska
Written by Harold Pinter.
Produced by Atlantic Theater Company.
- The Little Foxes
Written by Lillian Hellman.
Produced by New York Theatre Workshop.
- The Misanthrope
Written by Moliere, Translated into English Verse by Richard Wilbur.
Produced by The Pearl Theatre Company.
- Three Sisters
Written by Anton Chekhov, Translated by Paul Schmidt.
Produced by Classic Stage Company.
Outstanding Alternative Theatrical Experience:
- Gatz; Produced by The Public Theater.
- John Collins; Gatz.
- Anne Kauffman; This Wide Night.
- Joe Mantello; Other Desert Cities.
- Joe Mantello; The Other Place.
- Leigh Silverman; In the Wake .
- Tracy Bersley; The Witch of Edmonton.
- Steven Hoggett; Peter and the Starcatcher.
- Danny Mefford; Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.
- Annie-B Parson; Orlando.
- Gail Pennington Crutchfield; Freckleface Strawberry.
Outstanding Lead Actor:
- Desmin Borges; The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity.
- Christian Borle; Peter and the Starcatcher.
- André Braugher; The Whipping Man.
- Michael Shannon; Mistakes Were Made.
- Jeremy Strong; The Coward.
Outstanding Lead Actress:
- Tracee Chimo; Bachelorette.
- Edie Falco; This Wide Night.
- Elizabeth Marvel; The Little Foxes.
- Laurie Metcalf; The Other Place.
- Michele Pawk; A Small Fire.
Outstanding Featured Actor:
- Michael Chernus; In the Wake.
- Noah Galvin; The Burnt Part Boys.
- David Patrick Kelly; When I Come to Die.
- David Margulies: After the Revolution.
- Thomas Sadoski; Other Desert Cities.
Outstanding Featured Actress:
- Laura Heisler; Kin.
- Linda Lavin; Other Desert Cities.
- Deirdre O'Connell; In the Wake.
- Kristen Schaal; The Coward.
- Lois Smith; After the Revolution.
Outstanding Scenic Design:
- Rachel Hauck; This Wide Night.
- Anna Louizos; In Transit.
- Jan Versweyveld; The Little Foxes.
- Donyale Werle; Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.
- Donyale Werle; Peter and the Starcatcher.
Outstanding Costume Design:
- Gabriel Berry; The Coward.
- Jennifer Caprio; In Transit.
- Cait O'Connor; The Witch of Edmonton.
- Emily Rebholz; This Wide Night.
- David Zinn; Other Desert Cities.
Outstanding Lighting Design:
- Betsy Adams; When I Come to Die.
- Mark Barton; Gatz.
- Matt Frey; This Wide Night.
- Jesse Klug; The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity.
- Ben Stanton; The Whipping Man.
Outstanding Sound Design:
- Mikhail Fiksel; The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity.
- Fitz Patton; The Other Place.
- Mic Pool; The 39 Steps.
- Jon Weston; In Transit.
- Ben Williams; Gatz.
Awards by show:
|Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
Outstanding Scenic Design
|Peter and the Starcatcher
Outstanding Lead Actor
|Outstanding Featured Actress
Outstanding Costume Design
|The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity
Outstanding Sound Design
|Angels in America: Part 1 & Part 2
|Mike Birbiglia's My Girlfriend's Boyfriend
|Outstanding Solo Show|
|Other Desert Cities
|Outstanding Featured Actor|
|The Other Place
|Outstanding Lead Actress|
|The Whipping Man
|Outstanding Lighting Design|
The 2011 Lucille Lortel Awards voting committee is appointed by the League of Off-Broadway Theatres & Producers, the Lucille Lortel Foundation, Actors’ Equity Association, and the Society of Stage Directors & Choreographers, and includes journalists, educators, and members of the Off-Broadway community.
Awarded since 1986, the Lucille Lortel Awards are produced by the League by special arrangement with the Lucille Lortel Foundation. Additional support is provided by Theatre Development Fund.
Outstanding MusicalOutstanding PlayBloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
(2 wins)Outstanding Musical
Outstanding Scenic Design Peter and the Starcatcher
(4 nominations)Outstanding Choreographer
Outstanding Lead Actor The Coward
(4 nominations)Outstanding Featured Actress
Outstanding Costume Design The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity
(4 nominations)Outstanding Play
Outstanding Sound Design Angels in America: Part 1 & Part 2
(1 nomination)Outstanding Revival Gatz
(4 nominations)Outstanding Director Mike Birbiglia's My Girlfriend's Boyfriend
(1 nomination)Outstanding Solo Show Other Desert Cities
(1 nominations)Outstanding Featured Actor The Other Place
(1 nominations)Outstanding Lead Actress The Whipping Man
(1 nominations)Outstanding Lighting Design