Designed by Henry Beaumont Herts, The Shubert Theatre was built at the same time as the adjoining Booth Theatre. The Shubert Theatre officially opened on October 21, 1913 with Caesar and Cleopatra by George Bernard Shaw.
The theatre was named after Sam S. Shubert, one of the founding brothers of the Shubert Organization, which operates 17 Broadway venues. The Shubert Theatre building still houses the organization's offices on the top floor. The Shubert Theatre is a designated New York City landmark.
The Shubert Theatre is closest to the 42nd Street subway stop on the A, C, E, 1, 2, 3, 7, N, Q, R, W, and S lines. The closest bus stops are 8th Ave/W 46th St. on the M20 and M104 lines; 7th Ave/W. 44th St. on the M104 line; and 8th Ave/W 43rd St. on the M20, M104, and M34A-SBS line.