The Booth Theatre opened on Oct. 16, 1913, as a back-to-back pairing with the Shubert Theatre. It was designed by Henry B. Herts. The first production at the venue was Arnold Bennett's play The Great Adventure.
Named after the actor Edwin Booth, brother to the infamous John Wilkes Booth, the venue was actually the second New York theatre to bear this name. The first was built in 1869 on 23rd Street and 6th Avenue.