The Lyceum Theatre is Broadway's oldest continually operating theatre. Designed by Herts & Tallant and built by producer-manager David Frohman, the theatre officially opened on Nov. 2, 1903. David's brother Charles Frohman served as the theatre's manager until he died in 1915.
The inaugural production at the venue was the play The Proud Prince. The Lyceum Theatre was purchased in 1940 by a conglomerate of producers which included George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart, and then in 1950 the Shubert Organization took ownership of the theatre. In 1974, the Lyceum Theatre became the first-ever Broadway theatre to be granted landmark status.