Hayes Theater - Second Stage Theater
The venue officially opened as The Little Theatre on 12th March 1912. It was originally designed by Harry Creighton Ingalls and built by Winthrop Ames, with John Galsworthy's play The Pigeon as its inaugural production. During the 1920s the theatre was re-designed by Herbert J. Krapp to increase the capacity from 300 to 590. The New York Times purchased the building in 1931, converting it to a conference hall under the name of New York Times Hall. In 1979 it was bought by Martin Markinson and Donald Tick and it was renamed in 1983 to the Helen Hayes Theatre to honour the actress, after the previously existing one was demolished in 1982 to make way for the Marriott Marquis Hotel. On 18th April 2015 it was officially announced that Second Stage Theater had purchased the property. It was later revealed that the venue would be renamed The Hayes Theater and it would re-open in spring 2018. It is the smallest of the Broadway theatres.