Designed by Herbert J. Krapp, the Majestic Theatre was originally built by real estate magnates the Chanin Brothers as part of a three-theatre complex that also included the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre and the Golden Theatre.
The Majestic theatre officially opened on March 28, 1927 with a production of the musical Rufus LeMaire's Affairs. In 1930, the Shubert Organization took ownership of all three houses. The Majestic Theatre earned New York City landmark status in 1987.
The Majestic Theatre is closest to the 42nd Street - Port Authority subway stop on the A, C, and E lines. The nearest bus stops are 7th Ave/W 44th St. on the M4, M20, and M014 line; and W 43rd St. and 8th Ave on the M20, M104, and M34A-SBS line.
The Phantom of the Opera plays the Majestic Theatre at 245 West 44th Street. The Majestic has been home to The Phantom of the Opera, the longest running Broadway show in history, from 1988 to 2023. The musical is set to close on April 16, 2023.