Neil Simon Theatre
The Neil Simon Theatre was designed by Herbert J. Krapp for the real estate mogul Alexander Pincus. The Neil Simon Theatre officially opened on Nov. 22, 1927 as the Alvin Theatre. It was named after producers Alex Aarons and Vinton Freedley, as an amalgamation of their first names.
The inaugural production at the venue was George and Ira Gershwin's Funny Face, which starred Fred and Adele Astaire. During the Great Depression, the venue was used as a radio studio by CBS. The Nederlander Organization purchased the property in 1977, and rechristened it in honour of the American playwright Neil Simon on Jun. 29, 1983. The building was rewarded with New York City landmark status in 1985.