Built by Walter C. Jordan, the Nederlander Theatre building was originally constructed as a carpenter's shop in 1920 and was converted into a theatre the following year. The venue officially opened as the National Theatre on September 1, 1921. Ownership of the theatre has changed hands several times over the years — the Shubert Organization originally owned the building until 1956, and Harry Fomkes and Billy Rose (who renamed the theatre after himself) took over in 1959.
The Nederlander Organization purchased the property in 1979 and briefly renamed it the Trafalgar Theatre, until it was renamed after the organization's founder, David T. Nederlander, in 1980.
The Nederlander Theatre, located on 41st Street, is the southernmost Broadway house.
The closest subway stop to the Nederlander Theatre is 42nd Street - Times Square on the 1, 2, 3, 7, N, Q, R, W, and S lines. The closest bus stops are 7th Av/W 41st St. on the M7, M20, or M104 lines and 7th Av/W 42nd St. on the M42, SIM8, SIM8X, SIM22, SIM25, SIM26, and SIM30 lines.