Designed by Herbert J. Krapp for the Shubert brothers, the Eugene O'Neill Theatre originally opened as the Forrest — named after 19th-century tragedian Edwin Forrest — on November 25, 1925 with a production of the musical Mayflowers. A subsequent production there, 1933's Tobacco Road, once held the record as the longest running Broadway show in history.
In 1945, the theatre closed and, after extensive alterations, reopened as the Coronet. Under the ownership of Lester Osterman, the venue changed its name in 1959 to the Eugene O'Neill Theatre in honor of the American playwright. Playwright Neil Simon took ownership of the theatre after Osterman, but he later sold it to Jujamcyn Theatres in 1982.
The Eugene O'Neill Theatre, on 49th Street between Eighth Avenue and Broadway, is closest to the 50th Street stops on the C, E, and 1 lines (about a block north of the theatre) and the 49th Street stop on the N, R, and W lines (about a block east of the theatre).
The nearest bus stops are the 7th Ave/W 50th St. stop on the M7, M20, and M104 lines; the 8th Ave./W 49th St. stop on the M20 and M104 lines; and the 7th Ave/W 49th St. stop on the M50 line.
Popular restaurants near the Eugene O'Neill Theatre include Junior's (American), Lillie's Victorian Establishment (British/pub food), P.S. Kitchen (vegan), and Havana Central (Cuban). Ellen's Stardust Diner, a famous spot known for its singing waitstaff, is also a block away, across Broadway.
The Book of Mormon on Broadway is at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre at 230 West 49th St. The popular musical comedy has played the venue since 2011.