The oldest and first dedicated online New York Theater Guide Read news on over 150 Broadway and Off-Broadway shows
The Broadway Theatre is one of only five playhouses situated directly on the street named Broadway. Designed by Eugene De Rosa, the building officially opened on Dec. 25, 1924, as B. S. Moss’s Colony, a premiere film house. It underwent a series of name changes which included Universal's Colony Theatre, B.S. Moss' Broadway Theatre, and Earl Carroll's Broadway Theatre.
The theatre was used for stage productions and was re-christened simply as the Broadway Theatre on Dec. 30, 1930. The Shubert Organization purchased the property in 1939 and have since completed two renovations in 1956 and 1986. The theatre houses an extremely large stage at sixty feet deep.