The oldest and first dedicated online New York Theater Guide Read news on over 150 Broadway and Off-Broadway shows
The August Wilson Theatre has gone through a number of name changes. It originally opened as the Guild Theatre in 1925, and went on to be used as a Radio Playhouse (WOR Mutual Radio) from 1943 to 1950.
From the 1950s, the venue became a theatre again, and operated under the name of the Anta Playhouse (aka Anta Theatre). In 1981, it was re-christened the Virginia Theatre, before assuming its present name on Oct. 16, 2005 — two weeks after the death of the American playwright August Wilson.