Ambassador Theatre

Ambassador Theatre

Address:
219 West 49th Street (between Broadway & 8th Avenue), New York, NY 10019
Capacity: 
1125

Designed by Herbert J. Krapp, the Ambassador Theatre opened on 11th February 1921 under the ownership of the Shuberts with a production of the musical The Rose Girl. The Shuberts eventually sold the property in 1935 and it was turned into a cinema and television studio for NBC as well as the DuMont Television Network. During this time period, it was known as the Ambassador Tele-Theatre, until the Shuberts reclaimed ownership in 1956 and reinstated it as a Broadway Theatre. The Ambassador has been designated a New York City landmark for preservation.

Travel Info
Nearest subway station: 
49th Street or 50th Street stations
Subway lines: 
N, R & W (49th) or 1 (50th) or C & E (50th)