Designed by the architect Henry F. Kilburn, the building was originally utilised as the Second German Baptist Church and opened in April 1890. From 1968 to 1972 it became home to a discotheque by the name of “Club Sanctuary” until it finally was converted into two theatres (upstairs and downstairs) in 1973. The first production – David Storey’s The Contractor – opened in October 1973 and was presented by the Chelsea Theatre Group. The building was renamed the Chelsea Westside Theatre. Under the management of Raymond L. Gaspard, the theatre was re-christened the Westside Arts Theatre from 1981 until 1990. After an extensive renovation by the new management - Reno Productions, Inc. – the venue re-opened in March 1991 as the Westside Theatre. The Upstairs Theatre has a capacity of 270 seats, whilst the Downstairs Theatre holds 249 seats.