The Studio 54 first opened in 1927 as the Gallo Opera House, and it operated as a music hall, broadcast soundstage, and nightclub (under the name Casino de Paree) until entrepreneurs Steve Rubell and Ian Schrager bought the building.
Under their ownership, the Studio 54 nightclub opened in 1977 and quickly became one of the world's most famous clubs, with frequent celebrity guests. The venue also operated under the name of The Ritz from 1989 until early 1993, and then as Cabaret Royale until 1995.
Roundabout Theatre Company's production of Cabaret played at Studio 54 in 1998 after the collapse of a construction hoist blocked access to the Henry Miller (now Stephen Sondheim) Theatre. In 2003, Roundabout purchased the building, and the company still hosts Broadway productions there and rents the venue out to other producers.
54 Below, a restaurant and cabaret theatre, operates underneath Studio 54.
Studio 54 is closest to the 57th St. - 7th Ave. subway stop on the N, Q, R, and W lines and the 7th Ave. stop on the E, B, and D lines. The closest bus stops are 8 Av./W 52 St. on the M20 and M104 lines and 7 Av./W 53 St. on the M7, M20, and M104 lines.