The Music Box Theatre was built in 1921 by theatrical producer Sam H. Harris to house Irving Berlin's musical revue The Music Box, written specifically for the venue. The first play to go up at the venue was 1925's Cradle Snatchers, and, ironically, the theatre has historically hosted more straight plays than musicals.
The Shubert Organization began acquiring shares in the Music Box Theatre from Harris in the 1920s. When Harris died in 1941, his wife sold half the shares in the theatre to the Shuberts, and half to Berlin.
In 2007, the Shubert Organization became the sole owners of the theatre. The Music Box Theatre's facade and interior are New York City landmarks.
The Music Box Theatre is closest to the 42nd Street - Port Authority subway stop on the A, C, and E lines. The nearest bus stops are 8th Ave/W 46th St. on the M20 and M104 lines; 7th Ave/W. 44th St. on the M104 line; and 8th Ave/W 43rd St. on the M20, M104, and M34A-SBS line.