Designed by Carrere and Hastings and built for producer Charles Dillingham, the theatre officially opened on 10th January 1910 as the Globe Theatre. It was named after the famous Shakespearean Theatre in London. The first production at the venue was the musical The Old Town, which opened in 1919. The space became a cinema operated by the Brandt chain from the 1930s until 1957 when it was purchased by City Playhouses Inc. It was re-opened on 5th May 1958 and re-christened in honour of Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne, who starred in the first production of the new ownership - Friedrich Dürrenmatt's The Visit. Producers Cy Feuer and Ernest H. Martin bought the theatre in 1960, only to sell it on to developer Stanley Stahl in 1965. The Nederlander Organization currently co-owns the venue with the Stahl estate.