The Ethel Barrymore Theatre was built in 1928, and designed by Herbert J. Krapp. It is the only surviving theatre of the many Lee and J.J. Shubert built for the purpose to stage productions starring an individual artist affiliated with them.
Ethel Barrymore achieved stardom under the management of producer Charles Frohman. In 1928, the Shuberts offered to build her a theatre and commission a play for her to premiere in her namesake house. The play, The Kingdom of God, opened on Dec. 20, 1928.