The Palace Theatre was designed by Kirchoff and Rose, and funded by vaudeville entrepreneur Martin Beck. The Palace Theatre officially opened on Mar. 24, 1913, and became a prime destination for vaudeville acts.
During the Great Depression, it became the RKO Palace and primarily hosted radio recordings and functioned as a cinema.
In 1965, the Nederlander Organization purchased the property from RKO and returned it to a traditional theatre, re-opening on Jan. 29, 1966 with the original premiere of the musical Sweet Charity.